Microsoft’s Cortana is an extremely beneficial feature in Windows. At first, it was rolled out for the Windows Phone in the year 2014, but later it was added in Windows 10 as well. If you are new to Cortana, then you may not be well-acquainted with the process of setting it up. In this blog, we will discuss the method of configuring Cortana.
Cortana: What is it?
Well, if you have been living under a rock, then you may not have heard of Cortana. Cortana is a voice assistant developed by Microsoft. It acts as your virtual secretary and helps you set alarms, schedule meetings, add stuff to your shopping list, etc.
Things that Cortana Can Do
Cortana can do an array of tasks for you. From setting reminders to playing your favorite songs, from placing and answering phone calls to reading out stories, there’s a lot that Cortana can do. Here’s a list of stuff that you can ask Cortana to do:
- Setting reminders based on an individual, location, or time.
- Looking up a word or phrase on the web.
- Getting the lyrics for the song playing on the device.
- Checking the local weather.
- Locating a file or folder on the system.
- Opening any program on the computer.
- Creating calendar events.
- Sending texts.
- Creating email messages.
- Setting alarms.
- Playing songs, albums, and playlists.
- Managing to do lists.
How to Access and Enable Cortana?
Cortana can be easily accessed by going to the Windows 10 taskbar. Merely press the Cortana avatar and input any command in the search bar. If you have turned on the Hey Cortana feature, then you can activate it by saying the phrase.
Here’s how you can enable “Hey, Cortana.”
- Open Cortana.
- Hit the Settings option.
- In the next prompt, choose “Talk to Cortana.”
- Toggle the bar below Hey Cortana to On position.
Process for Using Cortana in Windows 10
After activating the digital voice assistant, you can give commands by either writing them or by saying them. If you are typing a command, then a list of potential matches will begin appearing. You can select any command from the suggested list.
Setting up Cortana on Xbox One
Cortana can also be set up on your Xbox console. Here’s how you can activate it:
- Go to My Games and Apps.
- Select Apps, and then pick Cortana.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Your Xbox will reboot, and Cortana will get enabled.
Turning Off and Disabling Cortana
If you are not a fan of Cortana, then you can disable it. Or else, you can just hide it. Here’s how you can hide Cortana from your Windows 10 desktop:
- Right-click on the toolbar.
- From the pop-out menu, select Cortana.
- Click on the Hidden option.
Just set up and activate Cortana on your Microsoft Device and enjoy the digital experience.
Rick Martin is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cybersecurity, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup